The first thing that I think of when I think of vintage is the ‘make do and mend’ era – making the most of everything and anything. My love of vintage has started to spill into other aspects of my life and this has included my thrifty nature being released and let loose. So when I was at an early morning flea market a few weeks ago and came across this pristine St Michael’s bed sheet I had to bring it home with me – I knew it was destined for more than just a bed.
The chosen pattern for the vintage round of the Simplicity Challenge was Simplicity 1365, it is different to my usual style but I was looking forward to getting stuck in. I assessed straight away that the bodice was short and as I’m not one for flashing my stomach I set about lengthening the pattern. (Perhaps a very basic method of lengthening a pattern but it worked)
My plan was to use the floral print side of the sheet for the main bodice and the leaf print fabric for the lining and halterneck straps. The more I sewed though, the more I fell in love with the lining just as much as the outside.
I made my mind up to make it wearable two-ways, inside out. The trouble was how to do the fastenings so that it could be worn both ways. I scratched my head for a while and then my mum came up with the solution for me… Eyelets and lace to tie up the back like a corset.
Overall I think my vintage, thrifty mission was complete – my biggest expense was the £5 I spent on the special double-sided corset eyelets. The fabric was a grand total of £2 and the vintage lace ribbon was already in my stash. Fabulous!