I experimented making hot chocolate stirrers on Christmas Eve with Sam and they worked really well. I had seen Kirstie Allsopp do them on her latest tv show (I’m not obsessed with her honest – I will stop talking about her one day!) and when I looked couldn’t find a tutorial online for them so I thought I’d put together my own tutorial….
- Chocolate – milk or plain (approx 100g for 2 stirrers – see below)
- Mini marshmallows
- Lollipop sticks
- Cupcake cases or a silicone mould
- Melt your chocolate – If you’re making a lot like we were, don’t melt all the chocolate at once, do it in stages. When it’s nice and smooth, remove it from the heat straight away – believe me, we didn’t take one lot of fast enough and it burnt.
- Spoon the chocolate into the cupcake case
- Sprinkle with marshmallows and stick in a lollipop stick – getting the stick in upright is surprisingly tricky
- Pop in the fridge over night – don’t knock over those lollipop sticks!
They make wonderful gifts – We got red mugs to stand them in and then gave one to all our family members to go with the gifts we had bought them. They don’t have to be just for Christmas though! With winter coming in they might be a nice gift for your loved ones to let them know you’re thinking of them.
Enjoy making (and drinking!)